Tuesday, January 6, 2009

running for bureaucracy

So I have heard nothing about my disability status, its a lousy 170.00 a week, not enough to live on but its better than 00.00 a week so I'm not complaining.
Well, I am, that's why I'm writing, but not about the measly amount the gov.'t thinks people are supposed to be able to live on when they get unemployment or disability, but about the fact its been weeks and i hear nothing!
 I call NYS yesterday, the woman was extremely unhelpful as i believe i mentioned, so today I call my employer, speak to the man who should know what to do with all my info and the paperwork i passed on to him, that he apparently is supposed to take care of.  My form from the govt states, 'fill out' - check, 'have doctor fill out' - check, 'send to employer'- check, but i get no check. No one has called, no forms in the mail, nothing,  just that unnerving silence. 
With unemployment i get bombarded with packets of info and things to sign and numbers to call, so i am a little worried and want to know whats going on. I call my companies manager and ask about my form, he informs me he gave it to his Workman's comp provider but told them not to worry about it, it had nothing to do with work. So basically he did nothing with it! At best, he misfiled it.  At worst he tossed it aside without getting the correct information or bothering to inform me that he didn't see any reason i was turning in this useless paperwork to him! At best worst he just has no idea how disability differs from Workman's comp and thought he gave the form to the correct folks with the right instructions, put it in a file somewhere it means nothing. The killer is  that no one told me that they didn't get it! So let me inform you in case you dont already know, there is a time limit on applying for disability! 30 days!  I listen to co. guy tell me he sent it but there's nothing to be done and i tell him thanks i will be calling you later with other questions if i have them, he says fine. 
I call NYS, perhaps i should have waited until i was done sobbing and stopped hyperventilating but to be honest I'm on a fucking time limit and i need answers right now! WTF?!?!? who do i deal with? where do i send these forms? who has the answers? why doesnt any one know whats gong on myself included? Thank you wonderful lady at NYS who was not grouchy or was just shocked she had an hysterical woman on the phone trying her best to remain calm, she looked up the ins. carrier - gave me a policy # a phone # and told me to check with them, maybe i could just fax my info to them and most like my employer didn't understand the difference bet disability and comp. she sighed like it happens a lot, I think the company thinks they are somehow getting screwed by an employee if they apply for benefits, I'm sure the manager is just trying to keep costs down. but fuck that! I cant move my damn leg I run 25 flights a shift with heavy things and i cant do it. I have costs too, I need the help and i want this cleared up now! I thank the NYS lady profusely and call the office again, he is on another line, i leave a message, i inform him of the name of the ins. co he was supposed to send it to, offer the number, give him my number and ask him to return my call so we can take care of this. 
now i am on the phone, on hold with the ins. company for 31.27 minutes and counting waiting to see if i can corroborate the information and fax my own damn forms to them since my company is giving me the runaround. Finally!  just got through, not getting too excited i have to get my ass to staples now - fax this paperwork and wait 2 days to see if it went through. but at least someone gave me an answer! thank you for all the exercise bureaucrats!


No comments: