No not everyday, you can only say so much about guacamole.
I just ate a lot of it. No really like two avocados worth. With chips. I lied to myself and called it dinner. Like broccoli and potato. HA. I didn't fool myself and I'm a little sick to my stomach. I hope you haven't been following along or you might already know that I am having severe issues of becoming jabbaesque while I am incapacitated after my knee surgery. 3 more weeks of non weight bearing (meaning no eliptical machine) crutch useage.
Never Mind that! i tend to get off track and i like to use the new line to break away i know grammatically incorrect as i am still on the same tangent but i am also not here to appease your grammatical needs. back to Guacamole.
I never liked guacamole! I grew up in western mass. there was nary a Mexican restaurant. My first Mexican food experience was in - i hate admitting this part- Little Rock Ark. I KNOW!! who would have thought it!? but its true! I was 12 i came home touting the unparalleled deliciousness of fried ice cream to the dismaying response of "you cant fry ice cream" on every front! But I was afraid of the green mushy thing made from avocado - whatever the hell that was. It looked slimey and I was quite sure it would be worse than mushrooms. Some things you just know intrinsically!
A Mexican chain food restaurant finally hit New England and I was proven right that fried ice cream does exist. but i was also once again confronted with slimy looking green mush that kind of turned my stomach and i refused to eat. I reaffirmed my vow i would not try the avocado.
I moved to NYC I eventually shacked up with a man from Arizona - now that's where you expect to find Mexican food, southwest! not Arkansas! I learned almost nothing about Mexican food, except the chain i ate at was disgusting, margaritas are awesome and one shouldn't live without them (my opinion), you can sip patron and something about carne asada that i don't remember -he'd tell me if i asked him. I still passed on the guac. why bother salsa was around . I was quite happy leaving him the guac as long as he kept the salsa dish filled!
Cutting to the chase, years pass I work in theater - maybe we established that maybe not, i was keeping it vague for those venting moments but what the hell. I work backstage so i have a lot of free time in the day and i go out a lot at night. I also rarely cook and find i am drawn to a good salad and good Mexican more than any other food options(ok maybe pizza and no now is NOT the time to bring up my jabba complex, thank you!). I think i could eat Mexican food everyday. and I am sure its at least weekly. perhaps its the giant margarita i really want...
OK so somehow i end up at a tequila bar - being sick of the usual joint my friends and i test the fancy new joint on the corner - once seated i realize it must be really fancy because they serve CRICKETS on the menu - yes CRICKETS, i think fried actually which makes me sick thinking about it! it is so disturbing to me. I will be honest my 6 yr old taste buds were terrified that a leg might end up on anything i ordered esp. if cooked on the same grill hell the same kitchen! Tears(yes tears) filled my eyes and i held them back but my company caught it and laughed at me appropriately - i felt i would skip the dinner portion and just have a drink. i know how things go, and if there is going to be a random item amongst anyones portions it would inevitably be the one who would most fear it, scream and feel guilt at the same time she was shrieking, yes me. it has happened. not with crickets. I am not a fan of the insect kingdom. they can go places i don't want them to.
The table ordered the guacamole trio and being a fancy place had little, no or bad salsa - i was slightly perturbed. i sucked down my mini margarita that cost more than a pitcher at my hole in the wall. i ordered another and realized that the guac with the pomegranate seeds looked kind of cool everyone was raving and i had already been made fun of enough i thought i wouldn't let my 6 yr old taste buds get the better of me a second time on one night but really i wanted to go home and have a grilled cheese. I tasted the guac......uhm it was delicious, somehow the pomegranate transformed the icky slimy looking green stuff into an interesting colorful experience and all of a sudden we are ordering another round because essentially its all i am eating in this place!
since then i have tried guac at several places i go out of my way to order it when at a new spot, i still love salsa but my options have expanded!
I bought all the ingredients to make pomegranate guac at home but i have no idea how to work a pomegranate they are one bizzare fruit - now i have experience with weird fru.....oh wait thats different... never mind. So i stuck with plain, i don't need to extract seeds from this contraption that may be a flesh eating plant- like a fly trap for all i know. I had the guac for dinner and since then i have made guacamole an inordinate number of times, its cheap its easy i can call it dinner and have it by the tv, its filling and tasty and, and, and... Im addicted. I know i should stop but i cant, i ate one and a half avocado tonight a plum tomato some onion and lime and like how many chips and i called it dinner. and it was but i should have stopped at one avacado or like 3/4 or just half and have a real meal but no! i couldn't and now here i am. confessing my love and addiction to guac. there is some left but i cant eat it. I have to remember to only buy one avocado at a time i have no self control. And! I'm supposed to have lunch at a Mexican place tomorrow and margaritas with those same friends on Sunday - yes that means Mexican, thats like 3 times this week not including my guac fest. Did i mention the jabba thng? yeah i thought so.... excuse me i have to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment