Sunday, May 11, 2008

brisbane sucks

Honestly that is not what i wanted to title this post because it doesnt suck not really.
Everyone I have met here has been friendly funny outgoing kind entertaining, the people here are awesome even or maybe especially the two starbucks chicks one is going to marry a south american but not australian. they hate americans. it is a conversation i have heard numerous times in numerous countries i always happen to walk in on the i hate americans conversation. I feel obligated to then tell them as we are all laughing (for different reasons of course) that im american but these two realize it before i say anything and they have the usual yeah but you know what i mean thing. anyway htis conversation turns twenty entertaining minutes long and i enjoy them.
Its the highlight of my stay here.

The other highlight is roaches YES I SAID ROACHES DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!
I am considering burning my luggage before i return
I WILLNOT HAVE THEM IN MY LUGGAGE!!

yes thank you all ladies and gentleman i found my first truly awful nasty dingy rotten scary fucking hostel.

they are of course the nicest people on the planet, however i get here sat afternoon fourish i have made my way to the place and now my room its tiny. i can live. its dark and the floors are wood unusual but i can live. there is no locker for my stuff. i will use the ones downstairs. there is a roach on the floor.
I cry. Instantly. actually i just let out a wheezing i canlive with that its just a bug right its dead who knows. Well i know im lyin to myself.
i have run to the desk and asked for assistance and the perky lady goes up to my room explaining brisbane is worse than NY cause its warm and she picks the sucker up with her hands like shes rescuing it pronounces it alive not dead and tosses it out a window like a spider out the door. W.T.F!!!
I decide im overreacting as i am wont to do when it comes to creatures of more than 6 legs.
i start to wander to get my bearings but all i can think is I HATE BRISBANE! but i know its the hostel not the city but i cant help but blame the city after all my hostess blamed the city why shouldnt I?
eventually i cool off but not calm down i go back to my room and as the lights come on oh yes my friends there was some mighty fine scurrying going on! i shook out all my shit and ran with it to the desk still holding back tears but barely and the lady offered me a different room. i said ok - to be honest it was late i had no idea where else to go but the second room was far and i mean far superior (that does not remove it from the category of roach infested dump it just means i only needed two beers to fall asleep on the top bunk along with all of my vacationly possesions).
I did not see any roaches and i was in a room with two german girls and three french none of whom had seen any bugs and one had been there a week.
Obviously they dont look for these things like i do.
I went downstairs and called Qantas i dont have to stay here! i can just fly on! and i think they would have let me but i felt i owed the city itself one more chance.
I knew my options were open so in the am after me and the three roaches had a really fast shower together i ran out the door and by 8 am had a new place to live - for one night and had booked myself a two day trip somewhere down the coast.

I also booked myself into the koala reserve today so the one thing i wanted to do here i did.
I squished a koala OH MY GOD
they are like thirty pound memory foam pillows they are awesome. they really do kinda stick to you like that toy where you pinch there back and they stay. they are like that. I wanted to squish him like my cat but they dont let you do that - they have claws and they bite. also they are alot like monkeys I feel like they should be in the monkey family not the bear family. they are bizarre.
Also I played with some kangaroos - they resemble camels up close. same eyes and nose but they are soft and cute and damn scary when they run at you full speed. but fun!

Im off to what i believe to be the beach for two nights (cause i couldnt stand another minute here)
i just dont see the point of being here so Im leaving.
Sorry Brisbane!

oh by the way BUNK is the name of the hostel to avoid! i plan to review it when i get back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Critters On The Floor, Awesome about the Squishing, Roos, and beach, I hope. Screw the cities if they dont entertain you, and post some photos!
Take care, trust even the kindest strangers only 93%, have a beer each day- you are down under afterall.
Love,
jealous on 14th st

Anonymous said...

COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL!!!! (The koala, not the bugs) ~LG